What is SOLUTE?
SOLUTE, Inc. is a cutting-edge engineering firm focused on bringing modern technologies and approaches to mission critical systems in the U.S. Department of Defense. Our efforts have defined the DevOps approach for the U.S. Navy and our projects will determine the next 10 years of software development and continuous delivery for satellite systems, submarines, mission planning and signals intelligence applications.
What is a DevOps Engineer at SOLUTE?
Here at SOLUTE we believe DevOps to be more than just a buzzword; DevOps engineers at SOLUTE are effective problem solvers that focus on automating manual processes and improving the overall software development cycle. We develop against a large variety of systems depending on our Customers requirements and enable them for future success through well-built CI/CD pipelines. Our DevOps engineers come from a variety of backgrounds including systems engineering, software engineering, and system administration.
Why would you want to work at SOLUTE?
SOLUTE seeks out opportunities that allow our engineers to work with modern and innovative technologies in impactful projects. Our solutions are built for use in mission critical systems and often are subject to interesting and challenging constraints. We are often required to build solutions that must operate effectively in offline or difficult to reach environments while maintaining reproducibility, maintainability, and security.
SOLUTE offers more than just technical opportunities; while most work is performed on various contracts, engineers at SOLUTE are full time, salaried employees with benefits. Furthermore, because of our focus on Customer enablement and transition, none of our DevOps engineer positions will require on call support. SOLUTE encourages personal development and growth for all our team members. We support the professional growth of our employees with educational stipends, conferences, and the opportunities for ownership and leadership. Team members are given pathways for growth on their projects and SOLUTE is here to help you further your career goals.
What kinds of projects will you be involved with at SOLUTE?
SOLUTE has a rapidly growing portfolio of contracts with Government and Commercial customers that are focused on architecture modernization, automation, and CI/CD pipelines. DevOps engineers at SOLUTE typically work on teams of 3-15 other engineers (DevOps, Software, Network, Security, etc) to help design, implement, and test a variety of technical solutions.
Some examples of past and present DevOps projects at SOLUTE:
* Automating the provisioning and installation of a Big Data ingest pipeline (Apache NiFi, Storm, and Kafka) using Ansible and Terraform.
* Transitioning legacy applications of a major underwater surveillance system to a micro services architecture in Openshift.
* Developing an end to end CI/CD pipeline for the deployment of a complex environment across a variety of deployment scenarios and sites.
* Designing and Implementing an offline Platform as a Service environment utilizing Hashicorps suite of tools (Nomad, Consul, Vault, etc).
What are some key technologies you will work with at SOLUTE?
The exact technical stack varies from solution to solution but, there are a few technologies we often reach for when exploring a new problem:
* Linux is the most common development and deployment platform we encounter.
* Terraform is our go-to infrastructure automation tool.
* Ansible is the most common configuration management tool you will see.
* Git is the primary source control system we use for our projects.
* OpenShift/Kubernetes are our usual choices for container management.
What are we looking for in a senior engineer?
First and foremost, a senior engineer should be able to operate independently based on a set of tasks assigned to them. Secondly, a senior engineer at SOLUTE must evaluate technical decisions within the context of the larger project. They need to analyze the rippling impacts of technical decisions and how they impact other system components. Furthermore, a senior level candidate should be willing and able to mentor other engineers in the organization. Our senior engineers are typically seen as prime technical resources and must be willing to share their opinions and experiences effectively.
We also have junior and mid-level positions available for candidates that want to grow into a senior-level position.
What are the key requirements?
* You must be able to obtain a DoD Security Clearance (Secret)
* Comfortable in a Linux development environment
* Experience with a configuration management tool such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc.
* Experience with an Infrastructure-as-Code tool such as Terraform or CloudFormation
What will differentiate my application?
* RedHat Certification
* Amazon Web Services Certification
* Experience with any tools in our typical stack such as OpenShift / Kubernetes, Jenkins, Hashicorp tools (Terraform, Packer, Nomad, Consul, Vault), Ansible, etc.
* Experience working with cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, Google, etc.)
* B.S. Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or related field
* An active DoD Security Clearance
* Experience working on Military systems
* Medical, Dental and Vision
* Life and A&D coverage
* Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
* 401(k) Plan with company matching contributions
* Paid Time Off (PTO) and 10 paid Holidays
* Educational assistance
SOLUTE is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected status or characteristic.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.