The Comcast VIPER Packager Core Development team is a small, high-impact team innovating in IP video packaging for Comcast and its syndication partners. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, superior results, high-quality products, well-documented software, and the agility to move quickly. On the Packager Core Dev team, a Software Engineer is responsible for developing, testing, and maintaining the software that prepares live video content for playback on a wide variety of devices ranging from PCs to smartphones and set-top boxes. The Software Engineer is a key individual contributor in the Packager organization. This engineer will be expected to learn quickly and gain technical knowledge of video packaging; and demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the product life cycle. He or she is responsible for collaborating with the broader VIPER organization to understand requirements and integrate our applications with the entire video playback stack and control backplane. Responsible for planning and designing new software and web applications. Analyzes, tests and assists with the integration of new applications. Documents all development activity. Assists with training non-technical personnel. Has in-depth experience, knowledge and skills in own discipline. Usually determines own work priorities. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience.
Which technical problems does the Packager Core Dev team solve?
The Packager Core Dev team builds and maintains the software that prepares “raw” encoded audio/video for playback and recording. Collectively, our software components segment, package, and encrypt video and audio using multiple containers and codecs; and generate adaptive streaming manifests in multiple formats.
This role focuses on live TV, where our current software stack prepares tens of thousands of live TV channels for consumption by tens of millions of subscribers across multiple continents. We solve problems of fault-tolerance and resiliency at scale while manipulating complex binary protocols in real time.
Our upcoming challenges include expanding to new partners on new continents and integrating next-generation audio/video formats and protocols to stay at the cutting edge of the live TV streaming industry.
With whom does the IP Video Packaging engineer work?
On a day-to-day basis, this engineer will collaborate closely with four other live TV engineers. This engineer will also collaborate with other engineers in the broader Packager organization, which includes other development teams, Site Reliability Engineers, on-call operations, and testing/automation engineers.
Packager software engineers also collaborate with industry experts from many other disciplines: software architects, network engineers, data scientists, video player developers, content security specialists, and more.
- Collaborates with project stakeholders to identify product and technical requirements. Conducts analysis to determine integration needs.
- Designs new software and web applications, supports applications under development and customizes current applications. Assists with the software update process for existing applications and roll-outs of software releases.
- Participates in training representatives and operations staff on internally developed software applications.
- Researches, writes and edits documentation and technical requirements, including software designs, evaluation plans, test results, technical manuals and formal recommendations and reports.
- Monitors and evaluates competitive applications and products. Reviews literature, patents and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
- Provides technical leadership throughout the design process and guidance with regards to practices, procedures and techniques. Serves as a guide and mentor for junior-level Software Development Engineers.
- Works with Quality Assurance team to determine if applications fit specification and technical requirements.
- Displays in-depth knowledge of engineering methodologies, concepts, skills and their application in the area of specified engineering specialty.
- Displays in-depth knowledge of and ability to apply, process design and redesign skills. Presents and defends architectural, design and technical choices to internal audiences.
- Displays knowledge of and ability to apply, project management skills.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job.
- Own the customer experience – think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services.
- Know your stuff – be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team – make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System – a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company – by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Drive results and growth.
- Respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities.
Here are some specific technologies we use in our development:
What You’ll Need:
• BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• 5+ years programming in a systems-level language like Java, C/C++, Go, or Rust
• Experience with functional languages is a plus
• Experience developing multi-threaded applications for networking, HTTP, and TCP/UDP is a plus
• Experience with streaming video standards like DASH, HLS, HEVC, AVC, CMAF, and MPEG-2 is a plus
• Strong technical communication skills; able to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues
• Excellent writing skills
• Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills, adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership
• Working knowledge of Unix/Linux
• Strong analytical skills and the ability to pay careful attention to detail
• Able to work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
About Comcast VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research)
VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research), is a Colorado-based division within Comcast’s Global Technology Organization. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that’s built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
- This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
While possessing the stated degree is preferred, Comcast also may consider applicants who hold some combination of coursework and experience, or who have extensive related professional experience.
Relevant Work Experience
Pay Range: $108,335.77 – $162,503.65
Comcast intends to offer the selected candidate base pay within this range, dependent on job-related, non-discriminatory factors such as experience.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the compensation and benefits summary on our careers site for more details.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.