Transit/Rail Systems – Lead Systems Engineer
Job LocationUS-CA-Santa AnaJob ID0518-18542
HNTB Job TitlePTC Systems Project Engineer
Position TypeRegular Full-Time
CategoryIntelligent Transportation Systems
Why Choose HNTB?
For more than a century, HNTB has helped deliver infrastructure solutions that best meet the unique needs of our clients. With client relationships spanning decades, we understand infrastructure life cycles and have the perspective to solve technical challenges with clarity and imagination. We are far more than a design firm. We see and help address far-reaching issues of financing, legislation, design, construction, community outreach and ongoing operations. As employee-owners committed to the highest levels of performance, we enable clients to achieve their goals and inspiring visions.
At HNTB, we’re encouraged to go beyond discovering mere solutions that will impact our very landscape. We are encouraged to ask, ‘What if?’ Our HNTB family fosters an inventive and resourceful commitment to finding unique answers to complex problems. We believe that the act of wondering sparks creativity. We will work to foster your creativity, career and personal growth. Come join HNTB and unleash your spark of imagination.
For you, ‘together’ can mean the chance to put together an exciting career. At HNTB ‘together’ also means collaborating across geographies and disciplines within the firm. And ‘together’ means that we are partners with our clients. Our goals are linked, and their success is our success. ‘Together’ means that we are engaged in the communities we serve – we live there – and are committed to their growth and development.
The Lead Systems Engineer shall have design experience related to working with a large multi-discipline team of design engineers including civil, mechanical, track and architectural designers. Candidate shall be very familiar with all types of rail systems typically provisioned in a light rail, heavy rail and commuter rail projects including train control, signaling, SCADa, communications, radio, stations electrical systems, ticketing, security systems and passenger facilitation systems. The Lead Systems Engineer will report to the Project/Program Manager. This position can be located in our Los Angeles or Santa Ana offices in Southern California. The candidate may occasionally be required to travel and work on transit / rail systems projects across the U.S. including projects in other parts of California, Colorado, New York and Washington State.
Systems Project Engineer focusing on Positive Train Control Systems.
– Works with clients to develop concept of operations and designs guidelines for positive train control system.
– Develops project schedule and implementation plan including detailed work breakdown structure.
– Provides detailed analyses and presentations of technical options.
– Familiar with FRA compliance requirements for PTC systems including PTCDP, PTCIP, RSD and PTCSP plans.
– Familiar with United States Code of Federal Regulations 49 CFR 236 subparts H, I, and other CFR requirements relative to implementation of Positive Train Control.
– Develops proposals and cost estimates.
– Develops test plans and procedures, performs field testing, and troubleshooting.
– Supervises and trains junior staff and travels occasionally to different project and client locations.
– Performs other duties as assigned.
– Familiarity with all aspects of transit / rail systems and technologies related to heavy rail, light rail and commuter rail projects
– This individual should have experience at successfully delivering projects through design-build and design-bid-build delivery methods, and will be responsible for project budgeting, planning, and client satisfaction.
– Primary duties would include: Serve as a Design Manager, including all aspects of interfacing with the client and design delivery teams of light rail and commuter rail projects.
– Manage the preparation of plans, specifications, and construction cost estimates. Plan, organize, and supervise project teams to ensure good contract performance. Remain current on Federal Transit Administration FTA policies and procedures that impact the design and implementation of transit projects.
– Implement the design management tools required for a major transit i.e., scope, cost and schedule control.
– Proven experience in managing, coordinating and supervising daily the work of all the practices/disciplines involved in large transit projects is required. A demonstrated ability to identify the requirements of the project, analyze and develop expert opinion and form conclusions consistent with project risks and the client expectations is necessary.
– Candidates must hold Bachelor’s degrees preferably in electrical engineering
– California PE is a plus
– Candidates will have at least 10-15 years of rail industry experience with at least 8 years’ experience in a position which involved leading design teams for transit / rail projects.
– Candidate must be able to demonstrate a track record of satisfying client needs and the ability to operate autonomously with minimal supervision.
– High degree of proficiency in utilizing professional knowledge to effectively lead the solution of engineering problems in accordance with project requirements.
– Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate and work effectively with clients, managers and team members on complex systems issues pertaining to assigned tasks.
– Knowledgeable of all applicable design tools and software including AutoCad, Microstation, ProjectWise MS Excel, MS Word, MS Project / Primavera and other software applications
– Self-motivated with proven ability to work independently and demonstrate strong leadership and team-building skills.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or technical field
10 years relevant railroad industry experience
In lieu of education, 14 years relevant railroad industry experience
Master’s degree in Engineering or technical field
– Ability to supervise others relating to project assignments.
– Ability to work independently.
– Ability to make sound decisions based on site field conditions.
– RWP qualified or capable of receiving training.
– Ability to work successfully and professionally with client contacts.
– Ability to pass drug screening as required by client to work on railroad property.
General Work Conditions
Combination Office and Field Environment: Most work is performed in an office environment in which there is only minimal exposure to potentially unpleasant working conditions. Incumbent must have the ability to stand and sit frequently and reach horizontally as well as vertically for overhead use. Work may infrequently be performed at client’s job site, construction trailer, and in the field. Work may sometimes require working in inclement weather, working in a construction site, being exposed to heavy construction equipment and doing extensive walking. Adherence to applicable safety protocol is required.
HNTB Corporation is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran.
The HNTB Companies are an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, marital status, genetic information, citizenship status, or other status protected by law. In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, we will hire only U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States (if the position is or will be one which is subject to U.S. law). We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individual with a disability where appropriate.
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.